Industrial gases are the gaseous materials that are manufactured for use in industry. They are playing a big role in cutting, brazing, refining, treating metals, food processing, and welding, etc. The principal gases provided are nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, argon, hydrogen, helium, and acetylene, although many other gases and mixtures are also available in gas cylinders. The uses of industrial gases are wide because so many technological developments are taking place. The industry producing these gases is also known as industrial gas, which is seen as also encompassing the supply of equipment and technology to produce and use the gases. Their production is a part of the wider chemical Industry. There are many types of gases but mainly these 5 gases are uses most in industries like- Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Helium, Carbon dioxide and Argon.
Uses of Industrial gases:-
- Industrial uses of Oxygen gas: In industries oxygen gas used for cutting, brazing and welding metal. Pure quality oxygen gas is needed in this process.
- Industrial uses of Nitrogen gas: Nitrogen gas is using in light bulb production, food packing, tire inflation, and mining and in many other works. Nitrogen in the form of nitro oxide is also used as a medicine.
- Industrial uses of Hydrogen gas: It is environment-friendly fuel. Liquid hydrogen is used as fuel in rockets. Hydrogen gas is used for refining, treating metals, and food processing.
- Industrial uses of Carbon dioxide: This gas used in chemical processes, it is used for refrigeration and cooling in a liquid form. It is used in the extraction of oil from oil wells. It is also used as fire extinguishers.
- Helium gas Industrial uses: Helium is used for inert arc welding. It is used in inflating blimps. It is used to pressurize the fuel tanks of liquid-fueled rockets and in supersonic wind tunnels.
- Industrial uses of Argon gas: This gas is used in healthcare industries. Argon lasers are used in the treatment of retinal detachment. It is also used in surgeries to weld arteries and destroy tumors.
Industrial gases are used in a wide range of industries, which include oil and gas, petrochemicals, chemicals, power, mining, steelmaking, metals, environmental protection, medicine, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, food, water, fertilizers, nuclear power, electronics, and aerospace. These industries include chemicals, power, medicine, electronics, aerospace, and even food. Industrial gas is sold to other industrial enterprises; typically comprising large orders to corporate industrial clients, covering a size range from building a processing facility or pipeline down to cylinder gas supply. As useful as these gases are, they may be flammable and come with other dangers.
Some trade scale business is done, typically through tied local agents who are supplied wholesale. This business covers the sale or hire of gas cylinders and associated equipment to tradesmen and occasionally the general public. This includes products such as balloon helium, dispensing gases for beer kegs, welding gases and welding equipment, LPG and medical oxygen.