Email marketing is the highly effective digital marketing strategy of sending emails to prospects and customers. Effective marketing emails convert prospects into customers, and turn one-time buyers into loyal, raving fans.
This guide is for those who’re ready to commit to email marketing. If you’re unsure, you may want to read our guide on why you need to build an email list RIGHT NOW!
This is a long and detailed guide, so we’ve broken it down into different sections you can get to using the links in the Table of Contents below. By using this definitive guide, you’ll know:
How to build an email list full of targeted customers.
How to optimize your emails for the highest open rates and click-through rates (CTR).
How to automate the process of nurturing your leads and turning prospects into customers.
Then let’s dive into the most comprehensive guide to email marketing on the entire internet.
We’ve covered the biggest question—what is email marketing—but haven’t gotten into why email marketing is so very important for your business. Let’s talk about that now. Despite the rise of social media and unsolicited spam email (which is never a good marketing strategy, by the way), email remains the most effective way to nurture leads and turn them into customers.
There are many reasons you should make email marketing one of your top priorities, but here are the top 3:
1. Email is the #1 communication channel. Did you know that at least 99% of consumers check their email on a daily basis? That can’t be said of any other communication channel.
2. You own your list. On any social media platform, your account (along with all your fans and posts) could be suspended or deleted at any time, for any reason, without notice. However, you own your email list. No one can take those leads away from you.
3. Email just converts better. People who buy products marketed through email spend 138% more than those who do not receive email offers. In fact, email marketing has an ROI of 4400%. That’s huge! And if you are wondering if social media converts even better, think again: the average order value of an email is at least three times higher than that of social media. Email is simply the best way to make sales online.
Wondering how to get started with email marketing? Email marketing is made up of several moving pieces, but that doesn’t mean it has to be complicated. Here’s how it breaks down… You start with your list. OptinMonster has made it super easy to start collecting leads right away, even without an email marketing service, with our Monster Leads integration.
With Monster Leads, you can begin building your email list—and even begin reaching out to leads—while keeping your leads stored safely inside your OptinMonster dashboard. Then, when you’re ready… You add an email service provider. There are a ton of them out there, but we take the guesswork out and make it really easy to choose the right one for you and your goals.
After those two steps, it’s just a matter refining your lists and your messaging so you’re reaching your audience and really connecting with them. Plus, you’ll be able to set up some automation in your email service which will make things much easier for you.
What most people do when they want to build an email list is to put an optin form on their website and hope that people sign up. Unfortunately, this strategy usually doesn’t work very well. To grow your email list, you need to attract people with a compelling offer. You need a lead magnet.
A lead magnet (a.k.a. an optin bribe) is something awesome that you give away for free in exchange for an email address. It doesn’t have to cost you anything to create; most lead magnets are digital materials like PDFs, MP3 audio files, or videos that you can create yourself at minimal or no cost. It can be absolutely anything you want, so long as it provides value to your visitors for free.Some popular lead magnet examples are:
A cheat sheet of tips or resources
White papers or case studies
Free trials or samples
A free quote or consultation
Quizzes or a self-assessment
The possibilities are endless!
For even more lead magnet ideas, check out our list of lead magnet ideas to grow your email list.
You already know that a lead magnet needs to provide value for free. But if you want your lead magnet to be highly effective, here are 5 criteria for you to consider:
1. Easily consumed: Lead magnets are only effective when the audience uses them, so if you deliver a 300-page manifesto, you won’t gain traction.
2. Actionable: Lead magnets need to provide an actionable tool, skillset, or useful information that your audience can apply.
3. Creates noticeable improvement: People continue to buy products and services if they work well. Your lead magnet will become successful if it’s as valuable as your products and services.
4. Relevant: If you’ve done your homework about your prospects, you’ll have no trouble coming up with a lead magnet subject that solves problems.
5. Immediately available: People love instant gratification, so give it to them right then and there. Check out 4 Ways to Deliver a Lead Magnet to see how easy OptinMonster makes it to get your lead magnet out there.
Before you can email anyone, you need their permission. If you started with an optin, you got that permission, so hooray! This is what makes opt-in email marketing great. If you didn’t use an optin, use extreme caution. While buying email lists may sound like a great shortcut, it isn’t. And we do not recommend it.
We also do not recommend adding emails from people’s business cards that you collected at conferences. Unless you have express permission to send them your email newsletters, your emails are spam. And it doesn’t serve your business anyway. People who don’t opt-in specifically for your email list are not the people who will buy from you. Sending them anything at all would be a complete waste of your time and money.
What you need in order to get started the right way is 1) an optin form and 2) an opt-in email marketing service. OptinMonster helps you create smarter optin forms and A/B test them without hiring a developer. You can quickly and easily create dynamic, targeted, and personalized optin forms that can be embedded on your site anywhere you want. email marketing with optinmonster
You also have the option to make them appear at certain times to specific people browsing your site to maximize your conversions. We’ll talk more about how to create high-converting optin forms in the next section.
I tried to cover as much as I could for a newbie to get started, but if you still have a question in your mind, feel free to give us a comment
Saring is caring